Police prays court to remand Oblogo alleged murder suspects in prison custody

0
43
views

 

Accra, Oct. 23, GNA – An Accra Magistrate Court on Tuesday ordered three out of 15 persons suspected to have had a hand in the murder of the chief of Oblogo, Nii Kwaku Bibini III, to be remanded into prison custody.

     The three on remand are Ibrahim Tetteh alias Hotcake, Moses Attoh and Abdul Rauf.

      The remaining 12 who are on bail are Kofi Kpoh, Agenyega Amedeka, Comfort Aryeek, Samuel Kponmegbe, Otokunnor Sackey, Samuel Tetteh, Gabriel Aheto, Mr Prince Sackey, Enoch Kofi, Joshua Tetteh, Joseph Laryea and Salifu Sumaila.

      A Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) George Amega prayed the court that the cells at the Criminal Investigation Department was being decongested and fumigated as such the three who have been remanded by the court be sent to prison custody instead of being in the custody of the Police.

      According to DSP Amega, the Police had also not received any advice from the Attorney Generals Department on the case docket.

      Lawyers for the accused persons objected to prosecution’s submission explaining that they might not have access to them which may create some difficulties for them.

      According to the lawyers, sometimes the Police turn to forget accused persons sent on remand at the prisons and they did not want their clients to experience same that.

      The court presided over by Mr Ali Baba Bature obliged the prosecution and adjourned the case to November 5.

      The accused persons who had their pleas preserved are being charged with conspiracy to commit crime and murder.

      According to the prosecution in 2011, a certain Amadu Salifu was killed by one Alex Cudjoe who is at large. In the course of investigations, the late chief was arraigned for abetment of murder at James Town Magistrate Court.

      He said the chief was granted bail at an Accra Human Rights Court on condition that he would not set foot in Oblogo till the final determination of the trial in order to ensure peace in the town.

     According Prosecuting Officer, the chief, not satisfied with the bail condition, failed to appear before the James Town Court and a bench warrant was issued for his arrest but he appealed against the bail condition at an Accra High Court which rescinded the decision of the Human Rights Court on grounds that it restricted his movement.

   The chief was however bonded by the High Court to ensure that there was peace in the town.

    DSP Amega said on April 8, 2012, the acting chief of Oblogo, Nii Okine, in the company of others, went to the Weija Police Station to report that the late chief was seen with some persons shooting indiscriminately but the police rushed to the scene to discover that the allegation was frivolous.

    In addition, the prosecutor noted that the deceased, later that day, went to the police and gave them a copy of the court ruling on his bail and it was handed over to the District Commander and the Crime Officer.

    DSP Amega said the acting Oblogo chief and his alleged accomplices had earlier threatened that the unthinkable would happen if the deceased continued staying in the town.

    A few days after the alleged threat, Nii Bibini was killed and investigations revealed that on the said date, the deceased had engaged the services of a carpenter and mason to renovate some parts of his palace which was burnt.

    The police officer stated that at about 1600 hours on that day, a group of people including the accused persons stormed the palace of the deceased, chased him and killed him.

       Ibrahim Laryea was later arrested. During investigations, it was revealed that Laryea ordered his friend to shoot the deceased but his friend failed to do so and he shot the chief.

       The prosecutor said a search in the house of Ibrahim revealed a pump action gun.

       He added that Attoh mobilized people to cause chaos at the late chief’s palace and vandalized the property of his son, which is yet to be assessed.

       The prosecutor said on April 2,0 2012, some of the suspects were arrested and a search in their homes led to a retrieval of six mobile phones, cutlasses, cartridges, pump action guns among others.

       Investigations also revealed that Nii Okine was one of those who organized people against the deceased, adding that an Opel Astra and Ford were vandalized by the suspects.

       The prosecutor said during an autopsy performed on the deceased by Dr. Aboagye Blankson of Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, pellets were retrieved from his skull and body.

       The police officer said the autopsy report was yet to be submitted and that the rest of the suspects were later arrested, with some admitting to the offence.

       DSP Amega said investigations are  underway to arrest more suspects.

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.