Accra, Nov. 13, GNA – The management of Melcom Group of companies, has reaffirmed its readiness to support the victims of the collapsed Achimota branch of the company, which 14 people lost their lives last Wednesday November 7th 2012.
The company said on Monday at a press briefing that since the sad incident occurred, it had redirected its resources to save as many lives as possible and take care of the survivors who have suffered various degrees of injuries.
Melcom Achimota six storey building caved-in suddenly at about 0940 hours trapping an unspecified number of persons.
Rescue team, which comprised the Ghana Armed Forces, the Ghana Police, the National Disaster Management Organisation, the Ghana National Fire Service and others, who were deployed to the scene, rescued 68 people alive with 14 deaths after several hours and days of rescue efforts.
Mr Richmond Kwarteng Oduro, Public Relations Officer, Melcom Group of Company, who expressed the company’s deepest sympathies to the bereaved families and speedy recovery for the hospitalized, said the company had taken over the medical bills of those who were hospitalized.
He added that Melcom had also provided them with the necessary drugs to carry on their treatment and check-ups until they fully recovered.
“Those still on admission are receiving the best of care in terms of medication and had been provided with welfare packages to make them as comfortable as possible”, he said.
He added that the company had sent out its representatives to the various hospitals and were in constant touch with all the medical teams to fully understand the scale of treatment required and the need to take things further if necessary.
Mr Oduro expressed appreciation to the rescue team for their efforts and all those supported in diverse ways to save the lives of the victims.