Accra, Aug. 1, GNA – An Accra Circuit Court on Wednesday granted bail to one George Darko, unemployed who appeared before it for defrauding 25 people in Accra, Greater Accra Region; Kumasi, Ashanti Region; and Kasoa, Central Region by false pretences.
George was granted bail in the sum of GH¢55,000.00 with two sureties. He is also to submit his passport to the police.
He had earlier pray the court to allow for an out of court settlement, but the court refused his prayer, saying in recent times cases of fraud were on the ascendancy and it would be better for the case to be dealt with in the law court.
The case has since been adjourned to August 20 for hearing.
At the last sitting, George was remanded by the court after he pleaded not guilty to all 22 charges of defrauding by false pretences.
The facts of the case as presented by Police Chief Inspector Isaac Agbemehia was that the complainants are 25 Ghanaians who are interested in being recruited into the security services and resident in Accra, Kumasi and Kasoa, while the accused person is unemployed and resides at Ashongman Estates.
He said between 2017 and 2018, the accused introduced himself to one Aikins Kofi Asare as a National Security Operative and informed him that he could assist him to get enlisted into any of the security services in the country.
He said Aikins then gave the contact number of the accused to the complainants and they contacted him individually, and he directed them to his house and assured them of enlistment into any of the security services of their choice for a fee of GH¢6,000.00.
The prosecution said, George told them to make part payment not less than GH¢1,500.00 each for him to start the process.
Mr Agbemehia said the complainants made different sums of payments ranging from GH¢1,000.00 to GH¢4,000.00 which summed up to GH¢54,900.00, to the accused in his house.
He said the accused after collecting the said amount failed to fulfil his promise to the complainants and went into hiding.
On July 18, he was arrested from his hideout and handed over to the police for investigation.
In his caution statement he admitted having received the said amount of money from the complainants.