Accra, Aug. 5, GNA – The Electoral Commission (EC) says it has finalized the modalities for Continuous Voter Registration, to permit persons above the age of 18 and of sound mind to get registered from August 19th to 26th at the Commission’s district offices across the country.
In a statement signed by Mr Eric Kofi Dzakpasu, Head of Communications said Political Parties are permitted to designate their agents to observe both registration processes.
The statement said the EC has duly informed the Inter-Party Advisory Committee (IPAC) on August 3, which unanimously, endorsed the decisions which also included opening up the registration for the deleted NHIS registrants from August 5th to 12th to get re-registered at all the district offices of the Commission.
The EC explained earlier that at the close of work, July 27, only 24,287 (42.78 per cent) out of the 56,772 NHIS cards holders, whose names were deleted from the voter register, have been re-registered.
The deletion of the names was as a result of a ruling by the Supreme Court, directing the EC to delete the names of all persons who had used the NHIS card to register as voters.
However, the Court also directed the EC to give such persons the opportunity to register.
The 10-day re-registration exercise, which began simultaneously with the 2016 voter’s register exhibition exercise on July 18 at the district offices of the EC, ended on Thursday, July 28.
However, the ongoing voter’s register exhibition exercise, which is taking place in 29,000 polling stations nationwide, would end on August 7.