Accra, June 8, GNA- President John Dramani Mahama, has directed the Ministry of Finance to release funds for the commencement of the Conti project in Accra, as he toured some flood ravaged parts of the capital.
Government and Conti Group of Companies of the United States, signed a $660 million agreement for the take off of the drainage and sewage project last year.
The American firm agreed to provide pre-financing but as the take off is delaying in the face of consistent floods it could become more detrimental with more rains.
President Mahama’s directive to the Finance Ministry to act by releasing funds for the start of the project could serve as a relieve to people in Accra as that could stem the perennial floods after every heavy rain.
President Mahama visited some of the flooded areas at Mallam Junction and South Odorkor.
The Conti Project is a five-year project to be conducted in three different stages.
It is expected to tackle the Accra flooding and some sanitation and environmental challenges that confronts the national capital.
The president who condemned the continued dumping of waste indiscriminately in the capital said the negative practice was a major contributor to the flooding Accra had been experiencing.
Apart from the destruction of property, the president said, flooding also had resulted in loss of lives.
He said the development was unacceptable particularly as Ghana strives to achieve all Millennium Development Goals by the coming years.
President Mahama advised the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) to make education on sanitation a major programme so that the people would be aware of their responsibilities.
Accompanying the president included the Chief Executive of AMA, Dr Alfred Oko Vanderpuye and Mr Kofi Portuphy, Chief Executive Officer of National Disaster Management Organisation.