Category: General Created on Wednesday, 20 June 2012 09:52 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 267
Ho , June 20, GNA- Kotokoli chiefs in the country on Tuesday commended the Volta Regional House of Chiefs for taking steps to restore peace in Hohoe.
They described the intervention of the Regional House of Chiefs as timely and a “very important move”.
The chiefs, led by Wuro Salifu Haruna, Greater Accra Regional Kotokoli Chief made the commendation when Kotokoli chiefs from Accra, Madina, Nima, Mamobi, Ashiaman, Dodowa, Sakumono, Ahamansu and Ho paid a courtesy call on Togbe Afede XIV, Agbogbomefia of Asogli Traditional Area and President of the Regional House of Chiefs.
The call was to show appreciation for the efforts of the House of Chiefs, which helped in restoring calm to Hohoe.
Wuro Haruna said they monitored the misunderstanding between the indigenes of Hohoe and the Zongo community in the media and described it as “very unfortunate.”
He recalled that the Kotokolis and Ewes were long time allies and was happy that the misunderstanding was giving way to peace building.
Togbe Afede was grateful for the recognition of the efforts of the Regional House of Chiefs and said: “Ghana is for all of us, so we must all work for peace and rapid development.”
Togbe Afede expressed optimism that Hohoe would be more peaceful than before and called on stakeholders in the peace building process to demonstrate great commitment to the course.
He called for mutual respect for all and appealed to the Zongo community to return the regalia and other items belonging to the Gbi State, which is in their possession to boost the peace building process.
Violence broke out between the Zongo community and some citizens of Hohoe when a section of the youth from the local Zongo saw the carcass of their Imam, which they buried last two weeks exhumed and lying at the outskirt of the town.
The bone of contention was that the Imam was buried contrary to a directive to the Zongo community not to bury their death due to an unruly behaviour.
The infuriated youth however attacked and ransacked the palace of the Paramount Chief Togbe Gabusu leading to reprisal attacks.
- Security Chiefs to strengthen surveillance in Kuma...
- GAF reschedules date for recruitment selection pro...
- SADA, NADMO organise disaster risk reduction forum
- Minister declares 24 hour surveillance in galamsey...
- David Lamptey’s family seeks criminal investigat...
- United Nations Foundation launches Sustainable Ene...
- Poultry farmer appeals for government subsidy on a...
- Responding to child abuse is expensive- UN
- Schools in Secondi-Takoradi remained closed
- Government to put cameras on Tema Motorway to chec...
- KNUST to promote market-driven programmes – Prof...
- Food insecurity still rife in Northern Ghana – W...
- Parliament approves GHc 2,560,322.00 for National ...
- Coalition of Concerned Teachers joins strike
- Severe rainstorm hits four communities in Nkoranza...
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.