Category: Crime Created on Thursday, 06 September 2012 09:00 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 227
Accra, Sept 5, GNA - David Okoe Adjei, a businessman, who duped members of the Bibleway Assemblies of God at Cantonment in Accra of GH¢249,000 under the pretext of securing them 87 plots of land at Tse-Addo near the Ghana International Trade Fair Company, on Wednesday appeared before an Accra Circuit Court.
The accused has been charged with defrauding by false pretence contrary to Section 131 of Act 29/60.
He pleaded not guilty to the charge and was granted bail in the sum of GH¢100,000 with three sureties, one to be justified. He is to re-appear on September 19, 2012.
Prosecuting Chief Inspector Charles Chester said the complainant Reverend William Wilson-Marfo is the Resident Pastor in-charge of the Bibleway Assemblies of God Church, while the accused is a member of the Church and lives at Ojobi Breku.
He said in 2010, the accused genuinely secured two plots of land at La for the church to buy. By this transaction members of the church and outsiders began to have confidence in him, who then promised that he could secure more plots for any person interested.
He said by such false pretence, the accused succeeded in collecting various sums of money from individuals through the complainant amounting to GH¢249,000.
Chief Inspector Chester said the accused after obtaining the said amount went into hiding until August 19, 2012 when he was arrested at Ojobi Breku and was sent to the Cantonment Police Station.
He said the accused in his caution statement admitted the offence and was accordingly charged.
- "I had cannabis sticks on me not the leaves" – a...
- Ghana airport security boss arrested in US drug bu...
- Driver remanded for possession human skeletons
- 42-year- old man defiles 12-year-old girl
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.