Category: Crime Created on Thursday, 05 July 2012 17:42 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 296
Accra, July 5, GNA- An accountant who allegedly embezzled GH¢247,663 from sales belonging to his employer on Thursday appeared before an Accra Circuit Court charged with stealing.
Alfred Lathbridge who is also a salesman pleaded not guilty, and the court presided over by Mr Ebenezer Osei-Darko admitted Lathbridge to GH¢250,000 bail with one surety to be justified and would re-appear on July 26.
The fact as presented by Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Alex Odonkor was that the complainant, Mr Nicolas Karikari, was the manager of Oyameba Enterprise Limited located at Kokomlemle, Accra.
He said the accused who is the accountant of the company, collected daily sales and paid them into the company’s account, and sometime in May this year, the complainant detected some malpractices in the company’s account and receipt books.
The prosecution said on May 15, the complainant asked his secretary a witness in the case to make preliminary checks on the invoices and cash book of the company and report to him.
He said on the same day, the accused called the secretary and informed her that he was unable to pay some daily sales of three shops into the company’s account but she should not inform the complainant.
However, the following day a report was made to the Police and accused was arrested and during interrogation, said he could not remember the exact account that he stole the money from.
DSP Odonkor said as a result, the complainant engaged the services of HAB Consult, a chartered accountant and management consultants based in Accra to audit their accounts from October 1, 2011 to May 15, 2012 and the accused could not account for GH¢247,663.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.