Category: Crime Created on Thursday, 05 July 2012 15:42 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 260
Accra, July 4, GNA - A Circuit Court Judge, Mrs Patience Mills-Tetteh has cautioned the youth against people, who promised to secure visas and working permits for them in foreign countries.
In addition, she entreated the youth to stay and work in Ghana since it was not easy outside and that they could make decent living in Ghana.
Mrs Mills-Tetteh noted that if they were unable to secure genuine documents to travel they could be deported and that could be an embarrassment for them.
She gave the advice when a self styled travel and tour operator, Eric Odoi Yeboah appeared before her for allegedly collecting 5,000 dollars under the pretext of securing a Canadian visa and two years working permit for Ahmed Addy but failed.
Yeboah pleaded not guilty to defrauding by false pretences, and was remanded into police custody pending further investigations into the matter.
He is to re-appear on July 12.
Police Chief Inspector Charles Chester told the court that after arresting Yeboah several complainants had walked to the Police to lodge further complaints therefore, they would need the accused to assist them.
When the trial judge enquired whether or not there were other victims, 10 people stood up in court, saying Yeboah had collected various sums of money from them.
Some of the victims said they were travelling to pursue further education in Germany, Canada and United Kingdom.
Chief Inspector Chester said the complainant Mr Ahmed Addy, is a Mechanical Engineer, and the accused had created a website advertising that he could assist people to secure various visas.
The complainant, the prosecutor said located Yeboah’s work place named Alpha Travel and Tours at Dansoman and interacted with the accused during which Mr Addy became convinced and parted with 5,000 dollars to secure a Canadian Visa and two year working permit.
The prosecutor said after collecting the money, the accused failed to honour his promise, went into hiding and vacated his workplace, but after his arrest, Police investigations revealed that the accused had defrauded several people and therefore would need him to assist in investigations.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.