Category: Crime Created on Tuesday, 19 June 2012 17:23 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 390
Kumasi, June 19, GNA - A Kumasi Circuit Court, presided over by Justice Emmanuel Amo-Yartey, has sentenced two robbers to a total of 90 years imprisonment.
Kwasi Tawiah is going in for 48 years, whilst Charles Kobia would serve 42 years.
They pleaded innocent to charges of conspiracy to commit crime and robbery.
A State Attorney, Mr Otu Boison told the court that the complainants are Alhassan Adams, a businessman in Wa, and Yakubu Ali, a driver at Techiman in the Brong Ahafo Region.
Mr Boison said Adams arrived in Kumasi on a passenger bus on April 8, just after midnight and decided to walk from the Race Course to the Kajetia lorry terminal.
He said on reaching the Zoo traffic light intersection, the two men armed with locally made pistols, attacked and robbed him of his two cellular phones and GH¢80.00.
Mr Boison said later Ali was also robbed at the same spot as he had arrived from Tarkwa and was heading towards the Adehyeman Gardens on foot to join a Techiman-bound bus when Tawiah and Kobia held him at gun-point and took away his cellular phone and cash of GH¢25.00.
He said Adams run to inform the police at Suame about the robbery and they responded swiftly by following him to the crime scene.
Mr Boison said the robbers were soon spotted and arrested and a search conducted on them uncovered two locally manufactured pistols, three live cartridges and cash of GH¢110.00 and the mobile phones.
The convicts denied the crime in their caution statements to the police and rather accused the complainants of being thieves.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.