Category: Crime Created on Monday, 18 June 2012 16:23 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 377
Accra, June 18, GNA - The second prosecution witness in the case involving Christian Asem Darkey, alias Limping Man, who allegedly imported 77 parcels of cocaine on board MV Benjamin, on Monday testified at the trial in-camera at an Accra Fast Track High Court.
The witness believed to be convicted by the High Court for his role in the importation was invited from Nsawam Medium Security Prison by the prosecution, but his identity was not made public in order not to compromise his security.
Darkey also known as Sherriff, a businessman, has pleaded not guilty to conspiracy, importation of narcotic drugs, possession of narcotic drugs without lawful authority, undertaking prohibited business relating to narcotic drugs, and corruption of public officer.
He was remanded into prison custody by the court presided over by Mr Justice Mustapha Habib Logoh, to re-appear on June 7.
On April 26, 2006, intelligence gathered by the security indicated that a shipping vessel, MV Benjamin, carrying about 77 parcels of cocaine was on the high seas heading towards the West African Coast, specifically Ghana.
Around midnight the same day, the vessel docked at Tema/Kpone and discharged the parcels, which were offloaded into a waiting vehicle and taken away.
Investigations led to the arrest of some people, who were tried and convicted.
During the trial, the name of the accused featured prominently as the importer and owner of the parcels.
Further investigations revealed that he chartered the vessel for $150,000 to bring another vessel carrying the narcotic drugs from Guinea, which were off-loaded onto MV Benjamin on the high seas, and the name of the vessel changed.
The accused allegedly carted the parcels from the vessel on its arrival at Kpone, and influenced some security personnel to prevent them from arresting him.
On Thursday, February 2, 2012, the accused was arrested at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital upon a tip-off.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.