Category: Crime Created on Thursday, 08 March 2012 18:01 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 515
Accra, March 8, GNA - The Fast Track High Court on Thursday ordered the freezing of the accounts and financial assets of Alfred Agbesi Woyome, the businessman saddled with the GH¢51.2 million judgment debt.
This was after it had granted a motion filed by the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO), seeking to freeze the accounts of Mr Woyome.
The court presided over by Mr Justice Bright Mensah, noted that the application for an order of review by the EOCO was proper before it.
It noted that in the affidavit in opposition, put in by Woyome, he did not deny the averments contained therein.
The court indicated that under the law, EOCO’s Executive Director was mandated to put in application to freeze accounts in relation to serious offences that bordered on, economic loss, tax fraud, recovery of proceeds in serious offences.
It was mindful of the fact that Woyome was being tried for allegedly fraudulently defrauding the State of GHC51.2 million hence it would be proper to grant the instant application.
The EOCO filed a motion to review the court's order to freeze additional accounts and other financial assets of Woyome.
The court on January 19, this year, gave an order for Woyome's accounts with the Agriculture Development Bank to be frozen.
EOCO's Attorney, Ms Diana Adu Anane, said further investigations undertaken by the office had led to the discovery of other accounts with other banks and additional financial assets of Woyome.
Based on the revelation, Ms Anane said her outfit had filed for a review or variation of the court's order so that the bank accounts and other financial assets of Woyome could be frozen.
Meanwhile, Mr Osafo Buabeng, counsel for Woyome vehemently opposed the motion because the procedure under which EOCO filed the motion could be applicable in civil matters and not criminal matters and prayed the court to dismiss the motion.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.